Get started with indoor gardening this fall, and don’t let the cold weather stop you from growing your favorite herbs!
In this article:
- Gardening Benefits
- Maintaining Your Indoor Garden
How to Grow an Indoor Garden
There are so many benefits to gardening. One of the best benefits is putting fresh food on the table and for me, there’s just isn’t a better feeling than that!
A lot of folks think that when the summer and early fall gardening season ends, so does the gardening. That’s just not true.
What if I told you that you can grow a plentiful garden INDOORS…all year round?
Gardeners who garden indoors do so for a number of reasons. Here are the most common reasons:
- Gardeners who live in northern climates that have shorter summer months love indoor gardens. It provides them with more options to have the most productive, plentiful garden.
- Gardeners without a good gardening area in the yard may find growing indoors especially useful. Indoor gardening systems are perfect for those who live in the city, especially those who live in an apartment or townhome.
- Plants also help beautify your indoor space and freshen the air inside the house.
Sounds pretty awesome, doesn’t it? Let’s go even further and get you started on the road to indoor gardening. What I’ll be covering in this article:
- Space: The best spaces in your home for indoor gardening
- Light: The best lighting options for indoor gardening
- Temperature: What temperatures are necessary for an indoor garden
- Humidity: Watching for signs that plants are being affected
- Soil: Which soil is best for indoor gardening
- Plants: Choosing the right plants for indoor gardening
- Maintenance: Watering and fertilizing your indoor garden
You can utilize a bigger space for your indoor garden. You can grow all kind of plants.
Most indoor gardeners use windowsills and tables for their indoor gardening areas. The table should be on a tile or linoleum floor to catch any water. A tarp under the table can be used as well.
Another great idea is shelving which will give more room for your plants without occupying too much room space. Just make sure each plant gets adequate lighting regardless of how they’re arranged on the shelves.
King Plus 1000w LED Grow Light Double Chips Full Spectrum with UV&IR for Greenhouse Indoor Plant Veg and Flower
- 10W Double Chips: brighter more efficient than traditional 3W and 5W LEDs,scientifically engineered to keep the balance of the PAR/Lumen Output and Coverage.Long lifespan.
- Energy saving: just consumes about 185w power,the electricity is 0.185kW·h per hour.Saving more money than HPS/MH lamp; Worldwide Voltage:85v-265v,plug and play.
- Full spectrum: the light include red,blue,yellow,white,IR and UV which is similar to the sunshine,ideal for all kinds of indoor plants veg and flower at all growth stages.
Plants photosynthesize to survive and need light to do this. Not having sufficient light will hinder the plant’s growth, and in some cases, the plant may not produce fruit.
A grow light may be required. If you are new to indoor gardening, choosing a grow light can be confusing, as there are different indoor grow lights to choose from.
Here are the choices for grow lights and the results they produce. Incandescent lamps are inexpensive and can be bought at large nurseries and hardware stores. While they work OK for growing houseplants, they are not ideal for an indoor garden.
Fluorescent lights are best for indoor herb gardens and other plants that don’t need too much lighting. They are not recommended for plants in the flowering and budding stage because they don’t provide adequate light. Inexpensive, they can be purchased at hardware near you as well as garden supplies.
The new Compact Fluorescent Systems, however, are quite bright and efficient, and in some cases might even be better than the high-intensity discharge lights. Compact fluorescents are smaller and more efficient compared to the old fluorescent lights which make them usable for all plant types.
Incandescent lights produce more heat than the compact fluorescent ones so you can place the lighting nearer to the plant.
The brightest and most efficient lights available are High-Intensity Discharge (HID) Bulbs, but you may need to pay more. A single 1,000 watts grow light bulb is approximately the same as 50 40-watt fluorescent lights.
Keep in mind that there are different types of HID Bulbs to choose from. The High-Pressure Sodium and Metal Halide bulbs are the only ones indoor gardeners will need.
High-Pressure Sodium (HPS) Bulbs produce a red-orange light that benefits flowering. With an average lifespan 2X that of metal halides, high-pressure sodium lamps are economical.
What Is A Metal Halide Bulb? An electric bulb that uses a gaseous mixture of vaporized mercury to produce light.
This isn’t a great light if you are only going to use one, as it doesn’t produce light in the blue spectrum needed for leafy growth.
Metal Halide (MH) Bulbs produce a blue-white color that is conducive to encouraging leafy growth for more compact plants. One bulb can reach up to 10,000 hours of use and has better lighting compared to incandescent bulbs and standard fluorescent lights.
This is a good light to start plants out with. High-Pressure Sodium lights, on the other hand, are the most suitable flowering plants.
Note: There is more to a grow light than just the bulb. You can purchase the reflector, cord, ballast, bulb, and other parts separately, or buy a whole system that just needs to be plugged in.
Temperature is very important in growing plants and most of them need 65-75ºF. Too much heat will make the plant weak and small while yellow leaves fall off from plants grown in colder temperatures. Having just the right temperature is necessary for plants to grow healthy.
Not having enough humidity inside can be a problem for gardening indoors. People normally use the heater during the dry winter which adds up to the challenge.
The following are a few results of low humidity in the garden room:
- The leaves turn brown at the tip
- Withering or puckering of the plants
- Plants lose their leaves
- You have set up the right humidity for your plant but the result is the same
To increase humidity:
- Apply needed mist for your plant every day. (Refrain from doing this with plants that have hairy leaves. The water can cause disease if it stays too long.)
- Put a water tray close to your garden and place lava rocks in it to build an area of evaporation (Make sure not to put any plant in the tray).
- Higher relative humidity is achieved by positioning your plants close to each other.
- Use a humidifier if you have one. Environmental controllers that set the humidity in a room are now also available in the market.
Indoor gardens benefit from a good planting medium. Soil found outside is not appropriate since it’s often too heavy and may contain weed seeds and insect pests.
Instead, look for a mix that is specific to indoor plants. A good growing medium should remain loose and drain well, yet contain enough organic matter to hold nutrients and moisture.
(2) Foxfarm FX14000 Ocean Forest Garden Potting Soil Bags 6.3-6.8 pH | 3 Cu Ft
- Ultimate potting soil that has everything your plants need in one bag
- Blend of earthworm castings, bat guano, sea-going fish & crab meal, forest humus, moss & more
- Ocean Forest is pH adjusted at 6.3 to 6.8 to allow for optimum fertilizer uptake
Almost anything can be grown indoors — as long as it eventually doesn’t get too big. However, do consider growing plants with similar light, humidity, and watering need together.
This is a list of plants that are great for indoor growing:
- Beans, Bush
- Salad Greens
15,000 Non GMO Heirloom Vegetable Seeds Survival Garden 32 Variety Pack by Open Seed Vault
- 32 Varieties of All Natural Vegetable Seeds: Non hybrid, Non gmo, Heirloom
- 100% Naturally Grown and Open Pollinated seeds with high Germination Rate
- Vegetable Growing and Seed Harvesting Guide Included with Seeds Tested for Maximum Germination and Yield.
Fruit Combo Pack Raspberry, Blackberry, Blueberry, Strawberry, Apple (Organic) 525+ Seeds 658921943359 Free 3 Flower Packs
- Complete your entire garden with this combo pack over 525 Seeds. 3 Free Packets of flower seeds in each.
- All Organic seeds! 125+ Rapsberry seeds, 125+ Strawberry Seeds, 125+ Blackberry Seeds
- 140+ Blueberry Seeds, 10+ Apple Tree Seeds – Free Iceplant Daisy, Dwarf Mix Petunia & Mixed Carnations
- Dwarf varieties of apples
Nature’s Blossom Fruit Growing Kit. The Beginner’s Set to Grow 4 Types of Berries from Seed – Raspberries ; Blueberries ; Goji Berry ; Blackberries. Contains Planting Pots, Soil & Gardening Guide
- 4 TROPICAL FRUITS TO GROW FROM SEED – Kit contains 4 sealed packets with enough organic berries seeds to ensure germination – Raspberries, Goji Berry, Blackberries & Blueberries. 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED – Love It Or Your Money Back – No Questions Asked.
- HIGH SUCCESS RATES – With high quality non-gmo, organic seeds, you should quickly see amazing results in the form of multiple seedlings. Designed for beginner gardeners, this set arrives with a comprehensive step-by-step guide to make sure your seeds will germinate and grow.
- ALL THE TOOLS YOU NEED ARE INCLUDED – Nature’s Blossom’s gardening kit contains everything you need to grow a tasty & healthy fruit garden with ease: detailed Instructions w/ essential growing tips; 4 Organic Seed Packets, 4 Biodegradable Planting Pots; 4 Seed Starting Soil Pellets & 4 Plant Labels to track your progress.
- Shasta Daisy
Yardeen Micro Automatic Drip Irrigation Kit Self Watering System Sprinkler Controller for Indoor Potted Plants Color Green
- This special watering kit contains everything you need to water up to 10 potted plants automatically. The kit contains 10 metres of vinyl tubing, that can be cut to the desired length and a timer that can be adjusted to alter the frequency and length of time plants are watered
- Scientific Water Saving Design Reduce 70% water than traditional sprinklers by focusing water directly to the root and water your plants drip without leaving the tap running. Avoid causing your financial loss
- Water Sprinkler timer features a large LCD screen easy to read text and dial. Programming, set-up, and scheduling is simple.
Maintaining Your Indoor Garden
Plants dry quicker than the soil when grown in containers so make sure to water them frequently. The water must flow out of the drain holes to indicate enough water is used (room-temperature water is recommended).
Always ensure no water is collected under the plant to prevent disease and rot.
Soil pH Meter, 3-in-1 Soil Test Kit For Moisture, Light & pH, A Must Have For Home And Garden, Lawn, Farm, Plants, Herbs & Gardening Tools, Indoor/Outdoors Plant Care Soil Tester (No Battery Needed)
- 🌺🌺 GARDENING MADE SIMPLE! – Find out what your garden or lawn needs with a little help from our soil test kit! You can now know whether you need to water your soil, amend its pH levels or adjust its lighting!
- 🌸🌸TIME-SAVING & COST EFFECTIVE! – Our premium soil tester saves you both precious time and money, by helping you maintain your soil and, consequently, your garden or lawn in tip-top condition!
- 🌻🌻 NO MORE FALSE READINGS! – Our exquisite piece of soil testing equipment is a rare combination of precision, accuracy and durability, which guarantees that you will never have to repeat a reading again!
Organic fertilizing for indoor plants is the best recommendation. In fact, If you compost at home, you can make a compost tea to water your indoor plants.
- Fill a bucket about 1/3 full with finished compost.
- Add water until the bucket is full.
- Let the bucket sit for a few hours if not three or four days (don’t let it freeze!).
- Using cheesecloth or a fine screen, strain the mixture into another container (Anything leftover can be thrown into the garden or back into the compost bin).
- Add water to the liquid until it is the color of weak tea.
- Apply the compost tea to the soil around your plants.
Winholt 300-48D / PU U-Boat Diamond Steel Deck, Utility Cart with Polyurethane Center and End Wheels, 2000 Lb. Capacity, 51″ Length x 16″ Width x 61″ Height Size
- Narrow 16″ width deck
- Constructed of all welded steel with anti-skid diamond plate steel deck
- All models have two high-end, removable handles to secure merchandise in place
Check out this video of a basic indoor grow room by Alberta Urban Garden Simple Organic and Sustainable:
Isn’t it great to be able to enjoy your gardening all year long? Whether you have enough space in your backyard, or you live in the city where the only option is to utilize limited space, growing plants is not a problem.
This article has all you need to know to make indoor gardening possible in your home. As long as you have the right resources, every season can be a gardening season for you.
Got more of your own tips on indoor gardening? Share them with us in the comments section below!
- DIY Raised Garden Beds: A Home-Gardening Solution
- Survival Gardening Hacks | Bringing It Back To The Basics
- Container Gardening Tips For Preppers And Survivalists
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on September 27, 2016, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.